Providing Vital Link between People who are Deaf, hard of hearing and hearing in Northwest Indiana.
Becoming a department of TradeWinds Services in 2014, Deaf Services has been providing support, education, advocacy and access to technology for individuals and families faced with issues related to hearing loss since 1978.
As the only nonprofit agency providing a vital link between people who are Deaf, hard of hearing and hearing in Northwest Indiana, Deaf Services at TradeWinds facilitates communication with interpreting, case management, advocacy and referral services for those who are Deaf or hard of hearing while providing education and sensitivity training for the hearing.
- American Sign Language – not English – is the first language for many people who are Deaf or hard of hearing. They often have a difficult time reading, writing or understanding the English Language. The challenge is simply that the world around people who are Deaf or hard of hearing relies upon communication to understand information.
- The lack of incidental learning that people who are Deaf or hard of hearing experience greatly impacts their ability to manage routine daily tasks related to the legal, medical, financial and employment issues and especially impacts their ability to solve problems in a time of crisis.
- With the ultimate goal of removing communication barriers for people who are Deaf or hard of hearing so they can enjoy a better quality of life, interpreters are on call 24/7 to translate for them. Case managers help them better understand what is being said or what is printed in a document so they can solve problems. Case managers also show them how to advocate for themselves and access different community resources available to them.
- Classes in American Sign Language, as well as Deaf Sensitivity Training, are also available through Deaf Services at TradeWinds.
- To learn more about interpreting and case management services, training and classes, assisted listening technology, and the use of their videophone, call 219.945.0100, ext. 204 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.