Providing a Vital Link between People who are Deaf, hard-of-hearing and hearing in Northwest Indiana.
Becoming a department of TradeWinds Services in 2014, Deaf Services has been providing support, education, advocacy, and access to technology for individuals and families faced with issues related to hearing loss since 1978.
As the only nonprofit agency in Northwest Indiana providing a vital link between people who are Deaf, hard-of-hearing, and hearing, TradeWinds Deaf Services facilitates communication with interpreting, case management, advocacy, and referral services, while providing education and sensitivity training for the hearing.
- American Sign Language – not English – is the first language for many people who are Deaf or hard-of-hearing. They often have a difficult time reading, writing, or understanding the English Language. The challenge is that the world around people who are Deaf or hard of hearing relies upon communication to understand information.
- The lack of incidental learning that people who are Deaf or hard-of-hearing experience has a considerable impact on their ability to manage daily routine tasks. These tasks can be related to legal, medical, financial, or employment issues; and can impact their ability to solve problems at a time of crisis.
- Interpreters are available, on-call 24/7, to help translate, with the ultimate goal of removing communication barriers for people who are Deaf or hard-of-hearing to help provide a better quality of life.
- Case managers can help educate for an understanding of what is said or printed in a document, improve problem-solving skills, and how to self-advocate or provide information on different community resources available.
- Classes in American Sign Language, as well as Deaf Sensitivity Training, are also available through TradeWinds Deaf Services.
- To learn more about interpreting and case management services, training and classes, assisted listening technology, and the use of the videophone, call 219.945.0100, ext. 204, videophone: 219.576.7100, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.